Thursday 18 April 2013


Though my shanks are thin
I go where flowers blossom, 
Yoshino mountain.   

Basho


What is Basho saying? “Although my legs are fragile, I will go anywhere in the inner space where flowers blossom. Even if it means climbing Yoshino Mountain, or it may mean diving deep into the Pacific Ocean — if flowers blossom there, I am going there. I am not concerned with my fragile body because inside, the body does not go; only your consciousness, which has no legs, which is not a material phenomenon.”

But if you decide that you will reach the point at the very center of your being...you will find tremendous color, psychedelic flowers, fragrance that you have never known before. Basho says, “Don’t stop before it, whatever happens. Risk everything and go to the place where flowers blossom.”

It is not about the outside world. Zen is not so interested in the ordinary flowers, which fade within hours. Its interest is in the eternal flowers that never fade. You have them deep in the valley of flowers, at the very center of your being.

Osho: Christianity: The Deadliest Poison and Zen: The Antidote to All Poisons


No comments:

Post a Comment